COVID-19 June Update
|As NYC slowly emerges from lockdown, housing courts are reopened & residential evictions resuming. The Partnership remains focused on preventing homelessness & keeping people safely housed.|
Here are a few recent updates we’d like to share with you:
|• According to landlord groups, more than 25% of NYC’s 5.4 million renters have fallen behind on rent payments. As of June 20, hundreds of thousands of New Yorkers are not protected by the eviction moratorium extension. And, advocates predict upwards of 50,000 are at risk of eviction.|
The economic impact of Covid-19 continues, leaving families facing months of unpaid rent or mortgage & bills with dwindling gov’t assistance. For the city’s 350,000 undocumented workers & families, many of whom don’t qualify for stimulus checks, unemployment or other cash assistance, the immediate outlook is even more dire.
Addressing this increased & urgent need, The Partnership announced a new program of financial assistance, legal referrals & supportive services for families facing eviction due to rent arrears. Privately funded, the program allows us to expand eligibility requirements.
• Summer is here, Phase 2 of the reopening is underway and more New Yorkers are out and about, making people on the street or living in unstable housing/health situations more vulnerable.
To provide additional protection, The Partnership & Ledbury donated thousands of hand-made masks to Metropolitan Community Church, a welcoming spiritual home for the LGBTQIA+ community and a leader in ministries supporting the poor, the hungry & people experiencing homelessness in midtown Manhattan.
• The Partnership wishes Happy Pride to our clients, partners & supporters. On behalf of our community of New Yorkers at risk of or experiencing homelessness, we join the diverse groups & individuals raising our voices to say Black LGBTQIA+ Lives Matter.
And, we welcome the dedication of Pride 2020 to calling for justice & equity for LGBTQIA+ individuals & families hurt & disenfranchised by racism, discrimination & poverty.
• CEO & Pres. Áine Duggan, shared thoughts on The Partnership’s work, rental assistance, Covid19 and the city’s preventable tsunami of homelessness. Listen to the BronxNet interview, read the Brooklyn Daily Eagle editorial, or check out amNY’s coverage of our expanded services.
• Like us on social media! Keep up on our ongoing efforts to ensure a world where everyone has a place to call home.
• Join us in our work – The Partnership is hiring!
For assistance, questions or more information, call us today at 212.645.3444 or email email@example.com.
Photo by hiveboxx @unsplash